Monday, September 22, 2008

Bedtime

Our bedtime routine is the same every night. The boys get baths, get their PJs on, brush their teeth, and then we all go into Diego's room. Some nights we read a book, but most nights we sing a song or two. Then we say prayer. Sometimes it's a fight to get Diego to say the prayer. We say, "Diego, can you say the prayer, please?" And he says, "No, it's Mommy's turn." We're working on it. During the prayer, Celo rolls around the bed and sucks his thumb or hides his face in a stuffed animal. After the prayer, we give kisses goodnight, and then I take Celo into his room, and Marcelo stays with Diego and sings him one more song before putting him down.

When it comes to bedtime, Diego and Celo are very different. For instance, every night, Marcelo is able to sing the entire "Go to Sleep" song to Diego, while holding him in a big bear hug and rocking him. Then he says goodnight, and lays him in his bed, where Diego will snuggle with one teddy bear, sometimes 2, sometimes 3. He sleeps with a night light. He won't go to bed without his night light. Celo, on the other hand, only lets me sing the first line of the Go to Sleep song, and then he's already diving into his crib. He doesn't want to be rocked. He just wants me to lay him down and leave. He's happy to be in his room, with his little puppy, in complete darkness. No night light needed.
Even though my boys don't really let me cuddle with them very often, I know that I'm going to miss the few sweet cuddles that they give me. I'm going to miss the bedtime routine. I want to be able to remember this time of our lives, so for memory's sake, I want to write down the songs we usually sing. So below are the songs we usually pick from. Diego knows all the words to all of the songs on this list and sings along with us. Marcelo and I have to hold back from attacking him with kisses because it's so dang adorable.
-I am a Child of God (this is my favorite one to hear him sing)
-Popcorn Popping
-Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam
-Sing Sing Sing (our version below)
-Go to Sleep (our version below)
-Mi Carita (words and translation below)
Okay, so we made up a couple of these songs. We didn't really know the words to Sing Sing Sing, or Go to Sleep, so we just made them up. Here are our versions:
Sing Sing Sing
Sing, sing, sing, I like to sing.
I like to sing a song, sing, sing, sing.
Dance, dance, dance, I like to dance.
I like to dance around, dance, dance, dance.
Play, play, play, I like to play.
I like to play all day, play, play, play.
Sleep, sleep, sleep, I like to sleep.
I like to sleep all night, sleep, sleep, sleep.
Go to Sleep
Go to sleep, go to sleep, go to sleep my sweet baby,
Have a nice dream, have a sweet dream,
Won't you go-o-o to sleep.
Go to sleep, go to sleep, go to sleep my sweet boy,
Go to sleep, go to sleep, go to sleep Diego (Deee-aaaayy-gooooo)
OR.......go to sleep Mar-ce-lo. (But like I said, I never make it to that part.)
I love hearing Diego sing this one to because it's so cute to hear him say, "my sweet baby" or "my sweet boy." Marcelo sings this to him every single night, and sometimes before his nap, he says to me, "I need go to sleep song."
And lastly, Mi Carita.
Mi carita, redondita, tiene ojos y nariz.
Y tambiƩn una boquita para cantar y reir.
Con mis ojos veo todo
Con mi nariz hago "achiz"
Con mi boca como como,
ricos copos de maiz
Translation:
My little round face has eyes and a nose
and also a mouth to sing and laugh.
With my eyes, I see everything
With my nose, I say "achoo",
With my mouth, I eat yummy corn flakes.
Hahahahahahha, I had never really translated that song. It sounds so funny in English. I'm not sure about the corn flakes part, but I looked it up online and I think it's right.
Anyway, that's bedtime at our house.

No comments: