Monday, January 25, 2010

Diego's Turn

Here are some tidbits about my big, dimple-faced boy.
I can't believe he's going to be 4 next week!! I'm actually really excited about him leaving the 3's behind. The 3's were hard for the two of us! He can be so so sweet, but also so so exasperating. The thing I have the hardest time with is the fact that he is completely unable to entertain himself. He has to have a playmate at all times. He literally cannot play alone for more than 5 minutes. He's my little shadow when I'm trying to get things done around the house. He's totally the kind of kid that makes a mom want to yell, "Can I please just use the bathroom in PEACE??" Not that I ever yell that. Ever. But it has occured to me on more than one occasion that the day will come where he won't want to be around me 24/7, and that's going to be a heart breaking day. So I have to dig deep into my patience well, take deep breaths, and learn to love the sound of "Mommy, mommy, mommy, mommy, mommy, Mommeeeeeeeee."


This is his cool guy smile. Don't ask me what the squinting is all about. As much as I complained in the above paragraph, I love this boy more than life. He is quite possibly the sweetest kid I've ever known. He just has such a soft heart. I hope he always stays that way. Several times a day, he will randomly hug me or kiss me and tell me that he loves me. I'll leave for a meeting or photoshoot and when I come back he tells me he missed me.

(Silly face.) I probably just made it sound like he's a mama's boy, but that is so not the case. He loves his dad. I'm pretty sure he thinks Marcelo has magical powers. He thinks his daddy can do no wrong and wants to be just like him. I love that they are such buddies. The other day, I overheard this conversation between the two of them:

Diego: Daddy, where were you?
Marcelo: Just fixing a car.
Diego: When I'm old like you I'm going to fix cars, too.
Marcelo: Great! You can be my helper.
Diego: Yeah! And I'll fix lots of things like you. I'll fix doors and closets and walls and bathtubs and everything that is broken.

Sadly, he already thinks we're old. He makes random comments about other people and says things like, "He was really old like you." And he has become very concerned about old age and dying. He gets a sad look on his face and says, "I don't want you to get very very old. Because then you'll stop moving." I have NO clue where he got this from. He gets all worried and says, "Will you stay with me forever?" It makes me so sad to hear him so worried about this. I really don't know where he's getting it.
He's been so cute about this whole baby sister thing. He couldn't be happier about it. When I kiss him goodnight, he says, "Wait! I want to give Eliana a kiss and say goodnight." He kisses my belly and says, "Goodnight Eliana!" And then laughs because he's so happy. I love it.



Sometimes he's such a good big brother. Sometimes. It's totally because of him that I was able to solve a little potty problem I was having with Celo. I love hearing him help Celo say the prayer when it's his turn. And just like he randomly gives me hugs, he does the same with Celo. But little tough guy Celo doesn't react well and tells Diego to get off of him. He's not quite as soft hearted as his big brother.


Last few stories:
- On Sundays, when I walk out of my room all ready and dressed for church, he says, "Mommy, you look like a princess." Last Saturday, we had a pajama party activity at church, so when I walked out of my room in pajamas, Diego was like, "Mommy. You have to change. You don't look like a princess."
- The other day, I was kneeling down to tie Diego's shoes and he was looking down on me as I was doing it. He touched my eyelashes and said, "Mommy, I love your eye hairs."
- The kid always spots it if I'm wearing something he hasn't seen before. He immediately tells me he likes my new shoes, shirt, purse, whatever, and asks me where I got it and who got it for me. So observant.
- Yesterday at church, Diego was really wiggly during the sacrament and I was trying so hard to get him to be quiet. I kept telling him that if he was reverent, I would give him a fun game to play when the sacrament portion of the meeting was over. He finally folded his arms and said, "I'm going to think about Jesus. You think about Jesus, too." And he bowed his head and closed his eyes. We talked about this in Primary not too long ago and he remembered! It was a cute moment.

As I've been typing this, Diego and Celo have been listening to music and having a "dance party". I need to get a video of Diego dancing. He loves it so much. He has already asked for his birthday party to be a dance party. He gets that from his Tata.

No comments: