My friend Karol had her baby boy yesterday. My boys really wanted to go meet him and I was itching to hold a newborn, so we took a trip to the hospital today. Well, two trips to two different hospitals because I forgot which hospital she was at.
Juan Jose is the cutest little newborn I've seen in a long time! I could have held him all day. Those soft little newborn baby cheeks and that cute tiny mouth...heaven. I love the newborn phase. I know you're sleep deprived and changing diapers every 20 minutes and nursing 'round the clock, but there's just something about holding a tiny innocent baby that makes me want to have 12 kids.
Don't worry. It's not going to happen. We're done with 3. Maybe.
Anyway, it got me so excited. I tried to use it as an opportunity to prepare my boys for what's coming. I told them that I was going to be in a hospital, too, and that they were going to come and visit their new baby sister and that she was going to be tiny, too. Diego just kind of looked at the baby and took it all in. He was being all shy and didn't say much. Celo saw me holding the baby and said, "I wanna hold it. I wanna play with him." I explained that little tiny babies can't play. He said, "Why the baby's not talking to me?" I explained that little tiny babies can't talk. He said, "They say, 'we we we ga ga ga'?" I said, "Nope. They can't even say that! They can only cry." This all seemed very confusing to him.
When we left, Diego had a lot of questions. "What happened to Juan Jose's mommy? Why is she in the bed? Why are they sleeping at the hospital? Why am I going to stay with Tata and you're going to stay at the hospital?" I tried to address all of his concerns and tried to keep him excited about this baby sister thing, but it seems like this coming change is starting to look less appealing to my little guy.
We had another ultrasound yesterday. A little problem that had shown up in our first ultrasound has now resolved itself and she is healthy as can be. Big relief. And, being the paranoid "planner" that I am, I had them double check to make sure it's still a girl. It is. Which means I have 4 bins of boy clothes to give away. I went through them and split them in half because there are easily enough clothes to clothe at least two boys for the first 24 months of life. Going through them was so sad. There were tears at one point. It's just so sad to realize that my boys will never be that small again. Time is going by way too fast.
On that note, I'm going to go eat some ice cream.
8 years ago

2 comments:
The hospital here will not allow any visitors when a baby is born. The mom can designate two visitors (that includes her husband) for the entire stay in the hospital! It's all because of H1N1. How nice that you can go visit a new baby and mom in the hospital.
I was sad getting rid of my baby girl clothes recently, too. Now I'm just enjoying the closet space!
Big giant smile!! So, so cute. And I hope your ice cream was delish!
Post a Comment