This year, I wasn't as into the Halloween spirit as I have been every other year. My parents, who love Halloween, haven't been in a celebratory mood lately. It's only been a few months since my sweet grandpa passed away, so all the holidays this year are going to serve as a reminder that he is no longer with us. But I firmly believe that he wouldn't want life to stop because he's gone. Especially for my kids. So this year was all about the kids, and whatever we did, we did for them.
This year Diego was crazy about Halloween. Starting October 1st, he hounded me constantly about decorating our house. During the weekend that Celo was super sick, Diego went to Tata’s house, where she humored him and helped him make a ton of paper rats and bats. He came home and taped them all over the living room. And I JUST now realized that we just took them all down yesterday and I never got a picture! Maybe I’ll ask him to put them back up for a pic.
A few days before Halloween, I put this wig on Eliana and laughed so hard I cried. She already looks pretty funny walking around with her long locks, but this looked hilarious. The funniest part was how much she liked wearing it.
Here we are at our annual family halloween party. My parents weren't going to do it this year, but Diego begged. Diego chose to be a skeleton, Celo wanted to be a ghost, and Eliana was a little witch. I was originally going to just wear a black shirt and black pants and cover myself with spiderweb and attach spiders to myself. I even made a headband with a HUGE spider on it. But when I started putting the outfit together about an hour before we had to leave, I realized the spiderweb was sticking to everything and it just wasn’t going to work. Luckily, my awesome friend Vanessa had let me borrow this black witch’s dress. I had also bought that hat for Eliana but she wouldn’t keep it on. Otherwise I would have been costume-less! But yeah, I was so not going for the mother-daughter witch thing. For the record, lol. Marcelo’s mummy costume looked more like the abominable snowman, but thanks to his sis for letting us borrow it! The boys let us spray their hair this night, but didn’t want to do it again for trick or treating. I don’t blame them. That stuff stinks!!
A friend made these bags with my kids’ names on them. They loved them! Diego wanted his skeleton costume to glow, so I printed a stencil off the computer and Marcelo painted it with glow in the dark paint. I think he did a great job! And Diego was thrilled.
While we were out trick or treating he kept saying, “I’m not scared. Mommy, do you think I’m scared? Because I’m not. I’m not afraid of anything. None of this is scaring me. Do you think I’m afraid from that man hanging from the tree? I’m not. Do you see that spooky skeleton? That’s not scary.” Since he said it all night long, I was pretty sure he was scared out of his mind and was trying to put on a brave face. Poor kid!
Celo chose a ghost costume, but didn’t want anything on his head. I already had a sheet with a hole in it, and he already had white pants and a white shirt, so it was a free costume (ok $2 in face paint). He was so cute on Halloween night. He walked around totally in character howling like a ghost. Only his howl sounded more like an owl. “Hoooo hooooo”. I was cracking up at my little ghost.
I’m not going to lie, though. The black circles around his eyes creep me out in this picture.
And then there was this girl. I had so much fun making this no sew tutu. Even if I had to make it twice. (Elasic is way better than the ribbon method, just fyi!) Then I bought this little hat and added some tulle and ribbon to it.
She was born to dance, this one. Just like Tata and just like Diego. As soon as I put the tutu on her, she just wanted to twirl around. Here she is dancing.
I tried to tease her hair to make it crazy, but it’s so silky smooth (thanks to Grandma!) that the tease wouldn’t hold. Also why this girl’s hair never tangles. Lucky girl. I wonder how long that will last.
Celo trying to be scary. I love the next three pictures. I’m sure I will one day look back on them and cry. Why do they have to grow up so fast??
Trick or treating with their cousins.
Lastly, Diego had to dress as a book character for a costume parade at school. We chose Clifford because we already had it. He also got an award that day! The Presidential award, which means he’s on the “Principal’s List for outstanding achievement in the classroom.” He got a free pizza dinner because of it. Too bad he can’t eat pizza! I’m going to ask if they’ll sub anything for him. We’re so proud of him!

No comments:
Post a Comment