Sunday, October 7, 2012

By Example

Last night we decided that this morning Marcelo would get to sleep in and then between conferences, I'd get to take a nap. We plan out sleep times like that because we are two tired parents. So this morning, I hung out with the kids and kept them quiet. I made chocolate waffles with berry sauce (from OBB). Marcelo slept in till 10:30! I prepared some crafts for the kids to do during conference and at noon we sat down together as a family to watch it. At about 12:15, Marcelo got a phone call from someone who needed help. I'm not going to act like I'm a better person than I actually am...I teared up as he told me that he'd be gone the rest of the day. Goodbye relaxed day, goodbye sitting on the couch as a family to listen to the prophet speak, goodbye afternoon nap, goodbye help entertaining the kids and taking turns hearing the talks. I told him that I had really been looking forward to hearing the messages today. He said, "Sometimes instead of LISTENING to the messages, we have to DO what the messages teach us to do."

Why lie...I'm disappointed in the way today turned out. But I'm also really grateful for Marcelo's example to our kids. He is for sure a better person than I am. When I tell him that, he says, "Not true. When I serve, you serve too." Maybe, but a lot of times I silently grumble about it. I should work on that. I'm proud of how service minded he is.

*Update...he's back in time for the last session. :)

1 comment:

Vanessa, Zac and Noah said...

Your and Marcelo have always been an amazing example of service. I have always noticed how you so willingly share your husband with others even though you need the help at home. I truly admire that about you. And your conference day looks like so much fun......you amaze me!