Saturday, June 8, 2013

Summer!!! Beach Week

Summer is here and so far it has been one of our best summers yet. I'm not pregnant, I don't have a newborn, the boys are old enough to do chores, they understand the meaning of "quiet time", the girls take naps at the same time most days...who knew summer didn't have to be miserable??
Buuuuut, we're like two weeks in, so we'll see how long this holds up.
The big negatives are that I don't have enough strong swimmers to be able to take them to the pool or beach on my own, and Eliana is still too daredevil-y and uncoordinated for me to safely take all 4 to the park on my own. Next summer when Eliana is 4, I think I'll be able to do these things without needing back up. Looking forward to that phase of life!
So since I need the kids to have fun even though we'll be home more often than I'd like, I'm doing my themed weeks again. I am forever grateful to my sister in law for introducing me to this idea. This is our third summer doing it and my kids get so into it. I'm going to try to document it so one day I can show them this and they can say, "Thanks, Mom. You were awesome!" Heck yes, I was. Perhaps I was too strict, perhaps not the most organized, and for sure I fell short in a lot of ways, but gosh darn it, I was good at summer.
Again, we're two weeks in, so...it's possible I'll be singing a different tune by mid-July.
I'll probably mostly document the summer with phone pictures/instagram pictures. It's just the easiest!
Week 1 was Birthday week. We celebrated Eliana's birthday, Tata CecI's birthday, and went to a friend's bday party. We made cupcakes and birthday cards. Pictures to come.
This week was beach week. It started out rainy, but in the end, the sun came out and we were able to go to the beach. The sand I made with flour and baby oil was a huge hit and kept them entertained for a long time on three separate days. Woo hoo! I bought palm tree straws at the dollar store and we had smoothies. We also had pineapple dole whips, but the recipe I tried was a bust. We played a beachball game where we had to answer different questions, and played musical towels at a playdate with our friends that are doing the themed weeks with us. We also collected shells at the beach and painted them. Here are the pictures:









No comments: