Saturday, December 14, 2013

December 14th

Today is the one year anniversary of the Sandy Hook elementary school shooting. That horrible tragedy was one that affected me deeply since I had kids the same ages as the victims when it happened. It also happened at a point in my life where I had a lot of anxiety about the safety of my children. I felt what it was to mourn with those who mourn as I cried for days for the families who lost a child that day.

So this year, as the anniversary neared, I felt a lot of those feelings all over again. I decided that I was going to keep my kids home from school on the Friday before the one year mark. Part of it was because I just felt a little anxious about sending them that day, but a big part of it was that I decided to use the day to kind of shower my kids with love and not take them for granted. It's hard to put into words what I was thinking, and trying to makes me cry. But it was like I was telling the Sandy Hook victims, "Look! Because of you, parents everywhere hold their kids a little tighter." It makes sense in my head.

So we went to the zoo. We spent the day there taking our time to look at the animals, eat our packed lunch, pretend to be vets, and play in the sand. Mila loved the sand! It was all so very good for my soul. They all behaved the entire time and had big smiles on their faces. It was one of those rare perfect days where all goes better than planned. My only regret is not taking more pictures. Diego kept asking me to and I kept saying, "We're just going to enjoy it, not take pictures of it."

I love the shot of Celo looking up at the giraffe that was directly above him.

So so grateful to be Mommy to these 4 awesome kids.

No comments: