We had a Lighting McQueen themed birthday party for Diego this weekend. We got together with our rather large family at a nearby park. The park has a huge open field where Diego can do his favorite thing in the whole wide world: Drive. We took his truck, and Marcelo's aunt let us borrow two of her Diego sized 4 wheelers. I barely saw Diego during the party. I saw him for cake and present time and that was it. The rest of the time he was either driving by himself, or chauffering his cousins around.
Check him out:

You all think I'm exaggerating about his driving abilities, but I promise I'm not. The kid knows what he's doing. I had a friend over yesterday who commented on the fact that it even looks like he checks his blindspots. It's just so funny to watch. He gets it from his Grandpa. They have a mutual love for cars and driving. And the same head. Anyway, one of these days I'll get a video of him driving.
I was SO happy that I found a recipe for a Diego-friendly cake this year! And it actually tastes like a normal chocolate cake! Who knew vinegar could work such wonders? I'll post the recipe later. Baking is not my favorite thing. But I like to decorate the cakes! Diego got to pick out what cake he wanted from my cake book, and surprise surprise, he picked a racecar cake. Gee, didn't see that one coming. I only get to do this cake thing a couple times a year, so I have fun with it. I hope it becomes a tradition in our family, and that our kids look forward to it on their birthdays. Except I have boys so the chances of them caring about that kind of thing are slim!

Right before we sang and blew out the candles, Diego was standing behind the cake with his cousins. They said, "I want to blow out the candles, too!" And Diego said, "No, it's MY birthday." It was not very nice. Afterwards, my mom said that when she heard him say that, she had flashbacks to MY 3rd birthday party. She said some of the kids wanted to "help" me open my presents and I said, "No, it's MY birthday." Oh dear.
As you can see from this picture, his cousins "helped" him anyway!
Here is the birthday boy sporting his "Birthday Champ" ribbon. I love it because he's holding racecars in one hand, and flowers for me in the other. Aw!
And this one is just funny because he's looking at me like, "Are we done with the picture taking?"

Here is the birthday boy sporting his "Birthday Champ" ribbon. I love it because he's holding racecars in one hand, and flowers for me in the other. Aw!
And this one is just funny because he's looking at me like, "Are we done with the picture taking?"

And finally, one of our little family. I don't know what my hair is doing. Just ignore it. Celo's hair is much funnier anyway.


8 comments:
Looks like a fun party! And great cake, you did awesome. Happy Birthday Diego!
I love the birthday champ badge, it's the same one we used for henry's potty-training champ. And Celo's hair seems to be growing in nicely. ;)
I'm having party deja vu...since we also did a Cars party (and same cake!) Yours turned out great! Looks like the party was a hit!
That is one awesome party! I love the comment about checking his blind spots. Hilarious.
You are so talented. I am beginning to wonder if there is anything you can't do!? :) I love the cake! Rylan has a little quad that he LOVES and we have to keep it in the house for him to ride! He pivets it, rides with his feet propped up, standing up, and the latest is sitting on it backwards and going forward! it amazes me and I know he is ready for a bigger/faster one, but I'm not! We'll have to get them together and bring the quads along sometime.
Hey cuz! That cake looked amazing good job! Also tell Diego happy late birthday for me!
-catherine
I know I've said it before but I am jealous of your cake decorating abilities, I have a food decorating handicap. I bet black was hard to make. Hailey just barely learned how to drive and she's been trying for over a year and a half so he's got some skills.
I can't believe how big Diego looks! He looks so grown up driving. The cake is fabulous. I didn't know you were so talented. It looks like you had a fun day.
Post a Comment