You know who I was today? I was that frazzled mom wearing smudged glasses and a messy ponytail, running after her wild children, just screaming to the world that she had lost complete control.
We went to the library to get a movie. I talked to the kids ahead of time and told them that first Mommy was going to look something up on the computer and get a book, and then we would go play in the kids' area and get a movie. They said okay. While I was at the computer, Diego pushed Celo around in his stroller and Celo screamed. I told them we needed to be quiet in the library and asked them to stay next to me. Diego took this to mean, "Push the stroller faster all around the people who are trying to read," and Celo interpreted it as, "Scream louder and throw your shoes on the ground." I frantically dug for snacks in my purse and tried to hush them with crackers. When that didn't work, I gave up on getting a book for myself and headed into the kids' area. Celo was thrilled to be let loose from his stroller, and the boys played nicely for about a millisecond.
Then Celo discovered that the little balls they were playing with made really loud noises if he threw them against the bookshelves. He laughed hysterically while throwing the balls as hard as he could, causing a BANG to be heard through the whole library. I took the balls away. He screamed bloody murder. I explained to him that we needed to be quiet and that he could have the balls back if he didn't throw them on the shelves. Diego handled himself well for the most part during all of this. The boys seemed to be playing pretty well at this point, so I sat down on a nearby chair. Celo, seizing the opportunity of not having his mother hover over him, took off running up and down the aisles of books. He laughed and laughed while he ran all over the place. Naturally, I chased him. I tried to hush him and told him "No running." Around this time, a few little girls came in and sat down and looked at books quietly while their mom sat with a book of her own. I wanted to ask her if we could trade children.
After it became apparent that Celo wasn't going to calm down and stop trying to pull books off the shelves to watch them crash to the floor, I decided I'd had enough. I tried to put him back into his stroller, which only made him turn into a wet noodle and scream his head off. I literally wrestled him into his stroller, while talking sweetly (only for the benefit of all those around me), saying things like, "Celo, it's time to get a movie. Want to watch a movie when we get home? What do you want to watch? Do you want to watch Mickey? Do you want to watch Nemo?" His response, between screams of course, was, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO." Red with embarrassment, I strapped him in, firmly whisper-yelled through my teeth, "You stop screaming right now," and headed to the movie section, where I instructed Diego to quickly pick a movie.
Once we had our movies in hand, we went to the counter to check them out. Celo was happy because he was holding a movie with puppies on it. He didn't even mind when I took it from him to put it on the counter. Diego, seeing that Celo was no longer doing the job, decided to take his place as trouble maker. He climbed the counter and hung on it with his hands. I told him to get down. He rammed Celo's stroller into the counter. I told him that if he didn't stop, I wasn't going to get his movie. He climbed the counter again. The lady behind it said, "Don't do that. You're going to fall." I gave him the evil eye. He climbed it a third time. I said, "Alright. No movie." He screeched, "NOOOOOOOO." And I said, "Then be a good listener. Don't climb the counter." The lady finally finished checking out our movies, and we headed out the door, but not without getting dirty looks from everyone else in line.
That was our trip to the library.
If you can see that I am clearly doing something wrong, please tell me. Really. I would like to know. I'm not kidding. Obviously my children are crazy. If I did something to cause this, I would like to know, so I can reverse it before I go insane. So, what? Do I need a sticker chart? A belt with a big brass buckle? What? WHAT, I SAY?
The boys are now napping. There is laundry all over my living room floor. But I don't care. I'm going to take a nap, too. I'll be expecting your detailed instructions on what I should do to better raise my children.
Thank you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Nat if you figure it out, PLEASE LET ME KNOW.
I sooo understand. I think pretty much all moms do. Today Cadence was especially whiny and obstinate and I all but threw her in her room and locked the doors. I had had it! Then I thought to myself, " Why am I such a terrible mom? Why can't she just behave and do the things I ask of her. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?!"
You are doing just fine.
Don't give them away yet. Things seem to ebb and flow with little kids. HORRIBLE week followed by good week. Hang in there.
I'll detail it out for you:
do EXACTLY what you are doing.
yup, that's it. Today was a bad day. Period.
You're a good mom, whether you see that right now or not, WE all can.
good days and bad days, just take them in stride. lol
oh and by the way I NEVER go to the library and look for a book for myself. I ALWAYS go online to the library site, find the book(s) I want, put them on hold and when I go to the library they are at the front counter waiting for me. ahhh. I learned real quick that the library, to the kids, is only for THEM to go in the kid section and play....
breath, relax and just keep loving those boys like you always have.
(and please keep blogging cause girl, you crack me up! It's nice to read about other people having these kind of days too, you're not the only one, trust me!)
I think your collective audience is searching for the same answer to that question. I think I can hear the answer right now coming from that sound of laughter from all the grandparents round the world.
Sometimes you gotta let the kids have their control. I know it sounds silly but sometimes it's not the right time to take them out in public when they'd rather be chilling at home or napping. You had the right idea, though, giving them a reward for tagging along.
But more often than not, you are the one in control and you gotta take the kids somewhere, not always their preference. Meltdowns will happen. While what's happened is fresh in your mind, learn from the past and plan ahead.
One strategy I read (easier said than done) was to establish a system of rewards and consequences in advance before the next trip to the store, church, or library. Remember to praise the kids when they've behaved well in public. But since kids are non-negotiable while throwing tantrums, teach them a gradual consequence system to let them know when they are getting close to strike 3 and then they're out. Your strike signals could be either a verbal warning or a tap or a stare, and on strike 3 they're out - which could mean they are taken outside to cool off, whatever you choose. It may take some time for them to learn, but hey, strike 3 is an easy game for them to remember.
This happens to us at church or school graduations or movies or...why just yesterday...LOL
Aubrey is a big screamer so I'm with you on that one, luckily Hailey's old enough I don't have two of them to try and control. Just be consistent! I noticed that Hailey goes through phases and she will be really good for a couple months and then really bratty for a couple months. It's weird because the change is instant. She goes from constantly not listening and throwing fits to listening and not throwing fits. When she is in her bratty phase I do the same thing trying to figure out if I should do charts or asking my mom for discipline ideas. She phased out of her bratty phase two weeks ago Sunday so hopefully it will be a good summer. I hear other kids are like that so you will have to watch Diego and see if it's true for you. Oh, and I also look up my book info at home and then I know right where to go to get my book at the library.
Post a Comment