Saturday, August 2, 2008

Diego Tidbits

Diego has been on his best behavior for the past few days. I'm trying to soak it up before he decides to be a cranky pants again. He was having some breathing problems last week, so we had to put him on prednisolone for a few days. That drug makes him crazy! He gets very defiant and seriously becomes deaf to our reprimands. He doesn't listen to a single thing we say when he's on that medicine. A few days after he stops taking it, the difference is huge. We're like, "Oh thank goodness, he's back."

He's been saying and doing some funny things lately, so this is a post all about my (as of yesterday) two and a half year old!
- He says, "I help you" to say, "I'll do it myself." For instance, if he wants to put his shorts on by himself, and I'm trying to help, he says, "No, I help you!" and makes me back off. I guess it's because he always hears me say, "Here, Diego, I'll help you." Sometimes he does try to say "I'll do it myself" which sounds like ,"I do by self."

- He always wants to know where things came from. It doesn't matter if it's the ham he's having for lunch, the shirt he's wearing, or a new toy...the question he always asks is, "Who gave to you?" Meaning, who gave me this? And he always always thinks Tata is the one that gave him everything. If I make him oatmeal for breakfast, he asks who gave it to him and I say, "I made it." And he's like, "No, Tata gave to you." Same with any new toy, or any new outfit. He never believes that anything comes from me or Marcelo. He thinks Tata is the only one who gets him stuff. Well, with the exception of spaghetti. If we're eating spaghetti, he says, "Grandma gave to you?" Because we eat spaghetti at Grandma's house a lot.

- Speaking of spaghetti, he pronounces it "Scabetti." I love it.

- He pronounces popsicle like, "Popscible."

- He's got a great imagination. Just today, we were in the living room, pretending we were riding go-karts at Grandma and Grandpa's house. He sat with his arms out in front of him like he was driving and said, "I drive blue one, you drive red one." And then he started saying, "Oh no, trees are coming! Watch out, Mommy! Be careful!" (Because there are a lot of trees on the little path where we drive the go-karts and if you're not careful, you could really get hit in the face with a tree. ) At one point Diego was like, "Ouch!" And acted like the tree hit him in the face and had me "kiss it all better". It's so fun to play pretend with him and just see where his little imagination is going to take us.

- He's begun to call me Mom. I don't like it one bit. When I'm getting ready in the morning, he comes into my bathroom and says, "What are doing, Mom? Mom, what are doing?" And I say, "What did you call me?" And he starts laughing and says, "Mommeeeeee." I'm like, nooooo, please stay a little baby and keep calling me mommy!! I'm not ready to hear Mom, yet.

- He's knows how to work me. If he sees me running around the house like a mad woman, which is usually whenever I'm trying to get the kids ready and the diaper bag ready to go somewhere and I'm already running late, he always picks that time to want me to sit down and play. I get all snippy and say, "Not right now, Diego. I'm getting ready to go." He blocks my way by standing right in front of me, and says, "Mommy, I need a teh you sometang." (I need to tell you something.) I'm like, "What do you need to tell me, Diego?" To which he responds, " Um, I yove you." (I love you.) And then I melt to the ground right then and there and give him a giant hug. But now he has changed it up. Now when I ask him what he needs to tell me, he says, "Um, there are cars in street." I have no idea where he got this.

-He answers for Marcelito. I'll say, "Marcelo, are you ready to take a nap?" And Diego looks at Marcelo and shakes his head and then looks at me and says, "Marcelo say no." Or he'll just come up to me randomly and say, "Marcelo wants play outside," or "Marcelo wants juice."

-He tells me how to parent. He's still wearing a diaper overnight, so when he wakes up in the morning, he says, "I need a diaper change." At night, after his bath, when I put the diaper on him, sometimes I just put it on without any powder or anything. And he'll say, "No, I need cream. My booty's itchy." I'm like, well, thank goodness he's letting me know how to do my job!


Okay, that's long enough. I could go on and on laughing to myself about the funny little things he does. But I'll stop. For now...

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

Aww, those are all so cute! It's so great to write it all down so you will remember these cute tidbits later. So cute!