Monday, August 18, 2008

Just Another Manic Monday

Whoa, oooh, oh.

Hurricane Fay is upon us. By tomorrow afternoon, we should be in the middle of a major downpour. You know what that means to me? My children will be too afraid to nap. Which will make them cranky. And I'll be worrying about the increasing winds and keeping an eye on the tornado watches, which will make me cranky. The next couple of days aren't going to be fun.

So today, I made a trip to Walmart to get groceries and some final preparations. You know what felt really good? Knowing that I already have a few months worth of food storage at home, which meant I didn't have to buy much in the way of emergency supplies. Yay for me. Well, yay for my wallet.

On my way home from Wally World, I looked in my rearview mirror and saw flashing blue lights. I immediately looked at my spedometer......ohhhh grrrrreat. I was going almost 20 miles over. I pulled into the first neighborhood I came to, and to my surprise, the cop pulled up next to me, instead of parking behind me. I thought, this could be a good sign. She looked at me and said, "What's the speed limit back there?" I usually (the other 3 times I've been pulled over) clam up and keep quiet, but this time I opened my mouth. I said, "I'm sorry. I have a 2 year old telling me he needs to pee, so I was rushing and didn't pay attention. I'm sorry." She said, "That's almost a $250 ticket. Slow down with a baby in the car." And then she waved me off! I was like, thank you thank you thank you thank you. It took about an hour for that sinking feeling you get when you see those lights in your rearview mirror to finally go away.

When we got home, the aforementioned two year did, in fact, go pee, and then I worked on dinner while the boys had lunch and watched a little of the Cars movie. And now, I'm waiting for dinner to finish cooking and praying for Marcelito to fall asleep. It's 3pm! He woke up at 7:15am! How is he not tired??? He's just playing in his crib. That 10 minute nap in the car could NOT have been enough for him. SLEEEEEEP.

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

I just want you to know, that as soon as I read your title I was singing the song, and now it's stuck in my head lol.

Good luck through the hurricane-yikes! Keep us posted.

Carolyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.